Monday, August 22, 2011

Small Steps

This Flylady experiment is going to be interesting!  I got a bunch of emails today and apparently this happens everyday.  I just scanned and deleted most of them.  They were very perky and encouraging and a little bit annoying.  I am not a perky person these days.  Apparently, shining up my kitchen sink, which was the first task, will lead to all of the de-cluttery / organizational changes I want to make.  So I shined up my sink and since I already have a habit of having the dishes dealt with before I go to bed it feels totally do-able to keep it shiny.

The bedrock of Flylady is changing habits by doing  "BabySteps" something I have had trouble with in the past.  On the other hand, nothing I've done on my own has worked long term so I'm keeping an open mind...at least for the next 30 days doing the Beginner BabySteps (I cringe even saying the B-S word).  Today was shine the sink.  Tomorrow is get dressed for the day, all the way to my shoes.  I generally don't wear shoes in the house so we'll see if that makes a difference.

A friend surprised me with a back to school gift of an engagement calendar filled with inspirational quotes about living a simpler life.  An example:
One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.  Andre Gide

This feels particularly true in this moment.