Sunday, August 21, 2011

Small Stuff - plan B

Well...that didn't work.
After a trip to Boston where I had a wonderful time but bought things I didn't need, I came home, ate a lot of cr** to fake feel better (like that ever works!)  and fell into a big fat funk.  After 5 seasons of Grey's Anatomy on Netflix I got up and paid for my fall semester classes, ordered my textbooks and got re-motivated to keep going on this Small Life Big thing.

June's advice to just do 10 minutes of decluttering has been helpful so that all progress was not lost during the funk.  A bookcase got sorted with most of the books being donated.  Currently working to get my little corner of the bedroom with my desk cleaned up before classes start.  All my hobby/craft stuff was also in this area so I made a place in another room for that.  I'm not sorting it now, just putting it all in one place.  I'll be spending my decluttering minutes this week finishing getting my study area ready.  That's way too many "ing's" in one sentence.

Seriously, I look at the different areas of clutter and feel so overwhelmed.  While on vacation I read The Secret Lives of Hoarders by Matt Paxton.  While I am nowhere near buried under clutter like some of the extreme cases he writes about, I do have a problematic relationship with my stuff and need help getting a handle on how to clear this stuff out and then maintain order.  I know people who have good things to say about Flylady so I had a look.  It takes a baby step approach to first setting up simple routines and decluttering then learning to be organized about maintaining order.  Seems like a place to start.