Saturday, December 10, 2011

Small Stuff - 4 weeks and counting

Well, Darling Boy and his friend are visiting in 4 weeks.  Can you say "Yikes!"?  I figure that gives me one week for each level (we live in a townhouse) and one week to clean.  I'm still keeping all the mental doors to the big picture firmly shut or else I will freak out!  So, with that in mind I continue working on the laundry room.  My thinking is once that space is cleared, I can use it for storing keepers and do-it-later-ers from other areas of the house.

I did a short session (about an hour or so) earlier in the week.  Here's what it looked like when I was done.

The red tubs are Christmas decorations and things.  We generally don't do Christmas decorating anymore but I'm not ready to give up on the idea of never again so they're staying as is for now.  The shiny tube is the Christmas tree, hee, hee.  The tall box behind the red tubs is 1/2 an artificial tree.  Apparently the other half has already been tossed so that got taken to the shed today to await big trash day.  I'm keeping the red chairs and plan to recover them.  Of course if that doesn't happen in say a year, they will have to go.

I spent several hours clearing today (taking breaks as needed)  The creepiest find was the cricket graveyard in the back corner under the shelves.  I did not take a picture.  You're welcome.
The "are you kidding me?" find was a juice box that has to be at least 10 yrs old.  Older, actually, but that is just too embarrassing to admit.

There were a few holiday decorations made by the kids that were in a random box so I decorated the door in the corner with them.  I'll leave them up for awhile and then toss them since they've been recorded here for posterity.
The weird hanger "Christmas tree" was made by my mom.  I kept it to see how it's made but will probably let it go.  There were toys in the cow box, almost all too beat up or broken to pass on.  A few went into the donation box and a couple will go to Darling Nephew who is about the right age.  In a box that had been packed 20 years ago I found my high school yearbooks!  I thought they were long gone.  So I had a nice trip down memory lane.  Boy, did I turn out differently from what I was like then.  Some ways good, some not so much.  All in all, no regrets.  It is what it is and what I do now is what matters, etc. etc.  It's pretty cool that I really believe this.

Anyway...here's what it looks like now (drumroll, please)
The bigger cardboard box on the floor is army gear so Darling Man gets to go through that one.  Tools on top of it.  The little box is collecting house gear like paint brushes and a saw.  Next to tackle will be the shelves.  But not tomorrow.  Tomorrow I am going to finish my last paper (final) for school that is due on Wednesday.  I think I'd rather clean...