Friday, November 18, 2011

Progress

I must keep reminding myself...if I want to be a writer, I get to write.  So here's a progress report for things that are going well in the less is more experiment.

Driving less has been a tremendous success!  Darling man and I had been contemplating moving to having one care to share instead of one each.  Life intervened to speed the decision along <smile> his car died about 6 weeks ago.  I have adjusted to riding the bus for most of my day to day travels (that sounds so much more interesting than going to school and work)  I enjoy it for the most part, it's convenient, free and it affords me lots of time to read.  Sometimes I read for school but mostly I'm reading books that have been hanging out unread on my bookshelves.  Plus once they're read I can pass them on out of here!

I still use the car for errands, shopping and going to night class, just takes a little planning.  So we are saving money on gas and upkeep with only one car which has helped the Small Money project.  Also on that front the weekly cash allowance is working, too.  I established some rules, like if I have money left over one week, I get the difference the next so I start each week with the same amount.  I am happily surprised at myself that I've kept this up consistently for almost 3 months!  Yay, me.  I have enough money to pay for next semester's classes.

Clutter-wise everything is still a mess.  But, there is progress on the horizon, I think.  I signed up for an on-line class to get help with getting started.  I know that Small Stuff will happen.  There have been some false starts and this may be another but I figure that as long as I don't give up, it WILL happen.  I will discover if less is indeed more!