Wednesday, April 6, 2016

E is for Erte'




E is for Erte'. He was a painter, fashion and stage designer, illustrator, artist and sculptor. Erte' was born Romain de Tirtoff in Russia. His work spans the years 1912 when he moved to Paris to his death in 1990. You can read more here
About six years ago I went to a Christmas bazaar where a picture of three women in slinky, pale, sparkly dresses caught my eye. It's the Three Graces by Erte'. On the back of the picture is a poem.

Now, while we dance
Come here to us
Gentle Gaiety,
Revelry, Radiance
And you, Muses
With lovely hair

After googling, discovered the poem is a translation by Mary Barnard of a line from the Greek poet Sappho. I think the little poem is lovely and I liked thinking about the three graces. I got the chance to learn a lot by buying this picture.

On the farm, E is for evergreens as in pine trees. Lots and lots of pine trees. I'm saving them for the letter P. Until then, here's one that's in our front yard and a large plot of pine across the road. Looks really spooky in the rain.

Ok, so E was hard. I didn't remember about Erte' until late in the day. I have an idea for F, something I've been thinking about trying. Unless I think of something else.