Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Q is for Quest


Okay, I looked through the Q's in the dictionary for this one before settling on Quest. Two interesting (to me) me things I learned: 
1. I have been mispronouncing quixotic. Not that it's a word I say out loud a lot, but when I say it in my head I say it wrong. 
2. After reading the definition to quotidian it occurred to me that it's a rather complicated word for one that means simple or something done daily. 

This entry from my "quill" will be about the idea of quests and how many times I can use a "Q" word to talk about it.

While our internet was down I started re-reading Eat, Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. One of my favorite books that I first read when my own life what in transition and upheaval. I re-read it every so often to be reminded how far I've come. It's an account of a year she spent on a quest to find balance between embracing pleasure and knowing God. One of my favorite quotes in the book is about "Quest Physics".  from Goodreads.com:
Elizabeth Gilbert

“I've come to believe that there exists in the universe something I call "The Physics of The Quest" — a force of nature governed by laws as real as the laws of gravity or momentum. And the rule of Quest Physics maybe goes like this: "If you are brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and comforting (which can be anything from your house to your bitter old resentments) and set out on a truth-seeking journey (either externally or internally), and if you are truly willing to regard everything that happens to you on that journey as a clue, and if you accept everyone you meet along the way as a teacher, and if you are prepared – most of all – to face (and forgive) some very difficult realities about yourself... then truth will not be withheld from you." Or so I've come to believe.”― Elizabeth GilbertEat, Pray, Love

I have found this to be true in my own quest to find answers to my questions of how can I be real, know  God beyond religious dogma, be happy, be useful and maybe the most practical question of how to escape the quagmire of depression that has dogged me most of my life.  Being stuck more often than not in that quicksand made the rest impossible. 

Fifteen years ago the quest began in earnest when I stumbled upon a way to pursue the answers to my questions.  It is a rather quotidian path in that the key steps consist of simple, although not necessarily easy, daily practices.  And on the surface the whole idea may seem a bit quixotic or to good to be true but it has been a quality path and experience and quite the adventure in self discovery. 

If inquiring (almost a Q word) minds want to know more you'll just have to stay tuned for "R".