Wednesday, April 13, 2016

K is for Kitchen


K is for kitchen, specifically for three of my favorite things in the kitchen. The first is my DIY hangers for pots & pans.

About a year before we moved I did this with old IKEA shelves. Screwed hooks into pieces of scrap wood and dangled the hooks between the slats that make up the shelf. Totally adjustable. Just have to be careful where on the top the big pot sits since the top isn't completely flat. Although it wasn't in there long, this reminds me of my kitchen of 20+ years in Maryland. The red skillet is one of the first purchases I made when we moved here. I smile every time I look at it.

My second favorite thing is old but new to this kitchen. It's a barrister bookcase that my mom used for displaying her Beanie Baby collection. For years it had been in our storage unit in Maryland. It reminds me of her while providing a little more storage. I'm sure I'll come across the door knobs someday.

Last is the hutch that belonged to Darling Man's mom. She didn't have it in the kitchen but I like it here with the other two. I haven't figured out yet just what will be stored / displayed there.

It really is the small things that bring a smile and memory that tell our stories and make this house start to feel more like home.