Saturday, April 29, 2017

X is for the eXamined life


"The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates
Most of the time I agree with Socrates' quote. I believe getting into addiction recovery offered me an invitation to lead an examined life. I also believe it's a worthy endeavor. And it's unsettling. And once you start, it's hard if not impossible to return to one's previous oblivious life.
Granted I'm only speaking for myself. I was raised in a world where free though was not encouraged. It was a world of following the rules and acting as one should in order to be good and accepted in the group. As I got older and started questioning the rules I was so frightened of the consequences I tried to make that world even smaller with more rules to follow so I could be ok. Eventually I couldn't do it anymore and just numbed out with sugar and silence.
Then I tried doing the 7 Steps of the Radiant Recovery program as outlined in the book Potatoes Not Prozac by Kathleen DesMaisons. I connected with the Radiant Recovery online community and a year after quitting sugar went to my first seminar (Radiant Ranch). At Ranch I dared to whisper to the universe (as I had stopped trusting the god of my youth) that I wanted to have a life filled with passion and joy. Being steady with the food and more balanced in my brain I was able to begin examining my life and changing what didn't fit.
And it goes on. I have most recently been nudged to examine how the god of my youth might fit in my life. This is 30 years coming and 15+ years into doing the food. and 12 years since my whisper to the universe at Ranch. So, yes, it takes time and is ongoing.
I admit there are times I long to go back to the simplicity and mindlessness of the unexamined life. That is a sure sign that my program is off. My big danger danger signal. And I ask myself "Is the examined life worth it?" Absolutely! is my answer.
I cross posted today so no bonus word.